'The Characteristics of Effective Learning and the Prime and Specific Areas of Learning and Development are all interconnected.
The ways in which the child engages with other people and their environment – playing and exploring, active learning, and creating and thinking critically – underpin learning and development across all areas and support the child to remain an effective and motivated learner.’ (Development Matters 2012)
The Characteristics of Effective learning support the development of the Unique Child in how children are learning.
3 Characteristics of Effective Learning
Playing and exploring – engagement
- Finding out and exploring
- Playing with what they know
- Being willing to ‘have a go’
Active learning – motivation
- Being involved and concentrating
- Keeping trying
- Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
Creating and thinking critically – thinking
- Having their own ideas
- Making links
- Choosing ways to do things